Sunday, July 12, 2009

Summer Update

Ok, so I haven't really posted anything about my summer exploits because well, there hasn't been any.

Except that I left for Michigan over the weekend and just now got back. It's quite exhausting to have to travel so much for such a short amount of time but it was necessary. My great-aunt (my dad's aunt) passed away on Tuesday and we wanted to be there for the viewing and funeral. I know that this is a sad moment but I always found it interesting to find out more about where I came from (family-wise I mean). Growing up, I was more exposed to my mom's side of the family more and I didn't really know anyone from my dad's side, except for my grandmother, 1 aunt, and 1 cousin. Knowing that I had a lot more family on that side made me happy but sad because I never really got a chance to get to know them.

I met family (mostly cousins, aunts, and nephews of my dad's) that seemed to know a lot about me when I was still a baby so naturally I don't have any recollection of them whatsoever. We watched a slideshow detailing my great-aunt's life, where you could see old photographs of when she and her sisters were still young (my grandmother included). I met my great-aunt before and she really was a great person. She gave it her all whenever she did anything (cooking, cleaning, etc) and she did it all with love. It is such a shame that she had to succumb to cancer after a 10-year long battle.

R.I.P.
Josephine Ynclinas Corbo
March 12, 1945 - July 7, 2009


Interesting Fact: She has the same birthday as her oldest grandchild and me.

This was something that my dad's cousin (that would make her my aunt I guess) said was part of a conversation she had with her mom in a dream.

Where are you going, Mom?
I'm not going anywhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment